Forums » View topic » Mage Guide

View next topic
View previous topic
Reply to topic
turbo_gor
Banned

Rating: 108

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 04:33 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you can start ghc even from lv 30 up. I started from 20 something, just ask someone if you can ks them, soul strike once or twice and you'll get plenty exp.

Rating: 0

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 05:50 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

for me it's just 90 int, alot of dex and the rest is up to me...and if i want..i'll add for int
Lionhead

Rating: 8

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 05:51 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

There is no good reason for mages to have a hard time as a novice.

Start with 9 str 9 dex 9 agi, keep pumping those until you hit mage. If it's your first character, go through newbie grounds and pick up the novice gear. Just by using the herbs I got and levelling off Willows just outside of top left Aldebaran, I got to 10/10 in <1 hour with nothing from other characters.

Reset is only 10 zeny for novices...10 zeny < time you waste by starting with an int build as novice for no reason.
Lionhunter22

Rating: 157

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 07:44 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Undark wrote:
12aBBiT1 wrote:
- Try and get a good Arc Wand and upgrade it to like +7.

Does having a +7 wand up the matk?

No..refine only adds to atk not matk......so like, +10 rods are pointless and still brainless people like to waste their money to refine rods/wand and etc -.-

devils_child2

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 08:23 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for doing this.

But I found a few flaws in it... of course I don't even have a mage class character, so I won't point them out. But from what I know, a lot of good mages will help shape this guide into a very useful guide.

Thanks again =D

In memory of Tsunami...
dink

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 08:39 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Just about starting up......
a lot of people suggest that you start out by puting things into int etc.
but for me I think its the most important to reset your char so that every single point can go into str maybe ome dex.
This is because al novies are meelee characters. Also, the fact that novie resets are 10 zenies make it very useful.
Even after you turn into mage, wait a while. Get few skills and then go reset back. It wont cost that much zeny and you should have nice set of skills to build on top of which makes things a lot easier from this point.
12aBBiT1

Rating: 13

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 09:44 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

guys, this is just how I did it. I can't say I did it right or wrong, I just thought it would be usefull to other people. I had no idea this would go on the guides bored T_T. anyways, thanks for the feedback. Nice idea with that delta firewall btw. But erm, how do you handle the bugs...theres more of them then there are undead anymore lol.

Also, I didn't know it was 10z for a reset that early. I thought it was just always 1500x(level). But unless you want to walk a ways, it usually costs 1k just to get a warp there anyways. Which of course isn't much, but its a considerable amount for someone starting out.

I'll edit this guide more than I was going to though, since it's obviously not anywhere near perfect and it looks like a lot of people want it to be Smile. But hey, I tried. Something a lot of better wizards out there cant say

Rating: -33

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 09:54 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

to start out, you should get a melee build. when u change into mage, keep the melee until you get around 5skill points. then firebolt and get popo tanking. wiht full int. i just melee maged until about lv16 and then i res and payon caved with soulstrike. when you get to around lv50 so, you can firewall and soulstrike at ghc.
Kaz!
Staff Member

Rating: N/A
Location: 53 degrees 32 minutes North, 113 degrees 30 minutes West.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 10:35 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Much later... I still agree a lot of with what I said before in the Wizard's FAQ, here: http://forums.xenophase.net/viewtopic.php?t=444...=asc&start=16

However, I've learnt some new things along the way which I think I'll share. Since I have time on my hands and all. Since this thread is specifically about mages, I shall limit myself to the lower levels.

First, I did find it a good strategy to keep adding INT up the wazoo, as much as possible. However... that doesn't mean you have to fight like a wizard early on. I actually found that, until about level 25 to 30, it's actually much more effective to grab a dagger and fight you way through monsters just like any other melee character. You'd have the 9 dex from the start (probably... I'm assuming you're not resetting, though if you've got the money you certainly can), and a standard dagger can do a decent amount of damage. Plus you simply don't have the int (for both MAtk power and sp) for it to be worth it. Sure, you'll die a heck of a lot (especially in Payon1, early on) but... if you save there, it's not all that bad to go back and just keep whacking stuff to all heck.

As a sidenote: if you're RICH (this would be what I did when I got to high mage), a damn good dagger will do 250ish damage a hit, even with no strength -- combine that with a blast clip and mobbing poison spores until level 40 really isn't hard at all.

But anyway, back to being poor: By level 30, you should have a half-decent amount of int, and quite a few job levels on you. My first suggested skill, much as others have noted here: Firewall. Why? Because 1) It's damn fast, relative to other skills... and without dex, you're just not going to get off spells that take a while to start off with, and 2) It does MASSIVE damage to the undead. How massive? Well, consider the following:

At max level, firewall hits 14 times per tile, has 3 tiles (5, if on the diagonal... but it's HARD to walk correctly for that), doing 50% MAtk per hit. The undead take 125% damage. Soo... If your low-int mage can hit an undead monster with a level 10 cold bolt at 200 damage per bolt... that's 2000 damage (200 x 10). But... for 1/10th the cast time and 25% more sp cost, a proper vertical firewall will do a whopping 5250 damage ((200/2)x14x3x1.25) -- over 2.5 times more damage! It doesn't take long to annihilate the undead with even these low-level walls (as long as you practice your walking!).

In short... it's powerful, if you practice it. Using this and being careful around mimics and hunterflies in GHC (though if you're REALLY good at vertical firewall, you'll stop those flys too!), practically all mobs go down in two firewalls. And as you get more int... even wraiths will go down in a single firewall set. Used properly with exceptional walking techniques... well, by level 45 I was able to take down mobs of >10 undead enemies with the vertical firewall technique (Not in just a single set though, of course).

...I think that's all I have to add for now. Of course, I'll add other things as I think about them, and I'd be happy to answer questions anyone may have.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2006 11:25 AM Reply with quoteBack to top

u left the one about the new mage mananager quests? in ur uide y????
TheCrow

Rating: 1

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006 05:18 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

silly rabbit! trix is for kids >_>

lol anyway i think when ur base lvl 26 -27 ur rdy fro geos

and they give u massive exp like 50% >_> just my opinion and u can snipe in this place so its practically made for mages

but its a nice guide ^_^
Michael

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006 07:33 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Undark wrote:
Jackal wrote:
No

Undark wrote:
12aBBiT1 wrote:

Then what kind of silly advice is that -.-" mages can't melee anyways...

How can you upgrade a wand? Do you mean using a card?

Nicely done guide
richie
Staff Member

Rating: N/A

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006 08:10 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Michael wrote:
Undark wrote:
Jackal wrote:
No

Undark wrote:
12aBBiT1 wrote:

Then what kind of silly advice is that -.-" mages can't melee anyways...

How can you upgrade a wand? Do you mean using a card?

Nicely done guide

You upgrade it like any other weapon -.-

CriminalNerd - lv 9x High Wizard
CriminalSmithy - lv 99/70 Whitesmith

Now taking forging and upgrading requests:
richie's forge - Look for the New Player Special!
brokenlegacy

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007 08:04 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

let's say you went with the second build firewall+bolts...i saw that theres no place for soul strike....if im not mistaken...isnt it fast exp if you get soul strike maxed and go to payon1 and kill all the undead stuff there then around a good enough level go to GHC and do the firewall and soul strike combo there? thats what i did...but i want to start over now that i read this guide...is there a way to add soul strike to the firewall+bolts build? also not to mention lou yang and do firewall and firebolt combo there......i also noticed 1 thing about your guide, it says in the beggining start out with 9 int, 9 dex, and 9 agi or vit....let's say you want vit, that would mean your taking points away from dex and also luk and agi would need to be split 5 and 5 if you would want 9 vit...so would you reset that right before becomming a mage or what?

Last edited by brokenlegacy on 24 Sep 2007 04:36 PM; edited 2 times in total
XxSSjUltimatexX

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2007 08:07 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

The Soul Strike method is one of the fastest ways to solo yourself to a nice level. Using Soul Strike is faster than fwall+fbolt combo on soils and such only if you have someone to warp you to GHC and other undead areas.
If you try to walk to GHC as a mage, good luck.

*Most people in actual RO never get Soul Strike since there is no such thing as resetting stats and skills in RO, but we don't really have to worry about that.*

As for the stats question, resetting as a novice costs next to nothing, and so getting 9 agi doesn't matter as long as you remember to reset before becoming a mage. What matters is that when you do reset, make sure you have 9 int and 9 dex.

To gain a few job levels as a mage, just slap on a stiletto (I think they can use it) or a Main Gauche (I'm almost positive they can use this) and chop things.

Reply to topic

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic