Forums » View topic » Mage Guide

View next topic
View previous topic
Reply to topic
12aBBiT1

Rating: 13

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 11:41 AM Reply with quoteBack to top

I am making this guide simply to help out people who want to be wizards and aren't exactly sure what to do on the way. I do not pretend that I know everything about mages, and this is just a recount of what I found about the common firewall build. Firewall is often the best way to go for a mage, so this should help all mages.

A magicians stats:
Intelligence:
A must have for all magicians and wizards. Every level of INT raises your magic attack by 1, and every 5 levels of INT increases your SP by a good amount. INT also increases the amount of SP you regenerate over time.

Dexterity:
Decreases casting time a bit, allowing you to cast spells faster. Untill the higher levels, dex is hardly noticeable. However, It is VERY important later on.

Agility:
Usually not used by mages, but is often used once you reach wizard level. Increases your dodge percentage by a small amount, and I'm not sure if it works on magic attacks or not.
Vitality:
Adds to your total HP by 1% per point, and adds a bit of status resistance. Usefull, but not needed untill wizard level.

What to do:
Generall you want 70 INT before you do anything else. after 70 INT you should get DEX to at least 40, after that It's up to you.

Starting out:
As you make your character, you already want to decide whether you want to be INT/DEX/VIT or INT/DEX/AGI. Very few builds work well with any other combinations, as all mages pretty much have to have INT and some dex at higher levels. So for the starting stats I would get 9 int, 9 dex, and 9 vit or agi.

Training:
Obviously, being a novice with those stat points just sucks..plain out. your weaker than almost all monsters and it takes you a very long time to kill anything. If you dont have someone to tank for you...I feel your pain. Your first few levels are pretty obvious, kill porings and such. Once your around 10/8 though, nothing gives you much exp. If you have a wealthier character you might want to get yourself a good main gouge and some armor, so you can fight theif bugs and possibly a creamy, but most likely the creamy will kill you with ease.

The mage test:
The mage test can be very annoying if you don't get it right, so don't mess around when your doing it. The test is on geffins outer ring, at the northwest. Inside the guildmaster will either ask you to make solution 1, 2, 3, or 4. If you got solution 2 this is your lucky day, because it's the easiest. However, heres the ingredients youll need.

Sol1. 2 Jellopy, 3 Fluff, 1 Milk, 1 Payon Solution (Code:8472, Yellow Gemstone)
Sol2. 3 Jellopy, 1 Fluff, 1 Milk (Code:3735, Red Gemstone)
Sol3. 6 Jellopy, 1 Fluff, 1 Payon Solution (Code:2750, Blue Gemstone)
Sol4. 2 Jellopy, 3 Fluff, 1 Morroc Solution (Code:5429, 1c Diamond)

You should have more than enough jellopies from killing Porings. Fluffs can be found southeast of prontera from caterpillar looking bugs, which are actually pretty hard to find, and I can't really remember where you find the milk. I'll update this when I find it again. The payon solution can be found in archer village, you get it from a man standing next to a small pond. The morroc solution is northwest of morroc. you get it from an NPC that resembles pocahontas., correct me if I'm wrong. Once you have everything go back to the mage guild and "talk" to the mixing machine. if you have solution 1,3, or 4, select either the payon solution or morroc solution accordingly. If you have solution 2 just select skip menu. enter the ingredients, and then hit begin mixing. it will ask for the code, enter it accordingly. If you messup you will lose your ingredients and have to do all that over to. Be careful.

On your way to your first skill:
I'd recommend you buy a Staff from the store in geffen. Armor isn't needed just yet. Go outside a town and wack porings to death for a few job levels. With those job levels get fire bolt.

The Skill Builds:
This is probably what 90% of you want right here. So here it is, the two common firewall builds. Both of them depend on what you want as a wizard.

Firewall + Soul Strike:
This build is very poor in later levels, so you'll probably want a reset before you become a wizard. This is however probably the easiest build for job levels 1 - 40. It gives both soul strike and firewall. Heres the build:
10 Firebolt > 5 Fireball > 1 Sight > 10 Firewall > 4 Napalm Beat > 10 Soul Strike > 5 Cold Bolt > 5 Frost Driver

Firewall + Bolts:
This is probably one of the best builds possible for setting up to be a wizard. It is a very full build and I recommend it, but it doesn't have soul strike, which in my opinion isnt needed with good use of firewall. Also note that this build leaves 1 point left over. I would use it on SP Regen early on, but some people would prefer another level of cold bolt or thunder storm. Up to you. Here it is:
10 Firebolt > 5 Fireball > 1 Sight > 10 Firewall > 5 Cold Bolt > 10 Frost Driver > 4 Lightning Bolt > 1 Thunder Storm > 1 Stone Curse > 1 Napalm Beat

The first build doesnt have much good about it, except its easy. The second build will allow you to get Storm Gust, Jupitel Thunder, Quagmire, Meteor Shower or Lord of Vermillion, Water Ball or Ice wall, and Heaven's Drive. In fact its possible to get all of those in one build with the exception of you cant have MS and LoV or WB and IW at the same time, you have to choose between those.

What to level on:
These are just places I found to be easy with a good amount of potions. It took me about 500 red potions to get from level 15 to 45. If you don't have any way to get a hold of 500 potions from a discount merchant, I feel your pain....Anyways, heres where I leveled.

15 - 20(Or untill you have firewall): Use a level 3 - 5 Firebolt on poporings in the payon cave(which is for some reason in archer village). At first you might have to hit and run, but you need to avoid skeletons, zombies, and bats at ALL costs. fly wings help a lot.

20 - 30: Use firewall on just about anything in payon cave. fire does like double damage to zombies, so one firewall should kill them if its used right. skeletons die with one hit of firewall, and bats die after 3 or 4 of running into it.

30 - 42: Geffin underground. Again, we use firewall to do our damage. a level 10 firewall should have no problem killing up to 3 mushrooms at a time. dont waste your time with the poporings though.

42 - 47: Geographers south of Juno. just use a lvl 10 firebolt as they are VERY weak against fire attacks, and they don't fight back from a distance. Just watch out for the other monsters in the area, and be ready to die a bit.

47 +: Firewall (and soul strike if you have it) the zombies in glast heilm church(GHC). This is very hard and takes practice, but you should be able to get them dead...just dont try more than 1 or 2 at a time. AND STAY AWAY FROM THE WRAITHS. This may not be the ideal place, but it worked for me because I have a friend that was also training in GHC and he rezed me when I died... Good luck, bring a lot of potions.

Using Skills/Skill Techniques:
- Bolts: Hit and run - Self explanitory, use a lower level bolt, when its done casting run, and bolt again when you have a good distance.
- Firewalls: Wall and Cast - On non-undead monsters, you can cast while the wall is blocking your target. a good level 5 or 6 firebolt should do depending on your dex. Vertical Fire Wall - Much like the description, depending on where the monster is at compared to you, you want to cast the firewall so that its aligned vertically with the monster, and run to the other side of it so the monster hits all 3 cells that the firewall effects. do not try this on large mobs...
- Frost Diver: Freeze and Bolt - use frost diver to freeze your target, and then quickly use a lightning bolt.

Tips:
- Firewall is arguably the BEST skill for a mage. RELY ON IT.
- Dont use a level 10 firebolt on anything agressive. Usually level 3 - 5 works good.
- Napalm Beat and fireball are completly useless, don't even put them on your quick slot.
- Try and get a good Arc Wand and upgrade it to like +7.
- Any armor that adds INT is good armor.
- We mages are basically jelly. we die to almost anything in a few hits. The idea is to not get hit. (firewall).
- if you get low on sp, sit down by typing /sit just make sure theres no monsters nearby. Sitting will replenish SP much faster than normal.
- Armor isnt extremly important for mages as the idea is...not to get hit in the first place. Your best bet is to just get armor that either raises INT or MATK.

Made by, Thanks, ect.
This guide for a firewall build mage was created by rabbit on march 23rd, 2006. Feel free to redistribute, edit, and do anything you like to this guide so long as you leave me in the credits.

Except for where mentioned I will not be updating this guide but I wouldn't mind feedback. I have only recently become a wizard and I know very little about ragnarok overall.

Thanks to:
- Andrea and Carlos for helping me so much in the game, both financially and showing me how to play when I got it.
- Xenophase for offering such a great game for free.
- The Satisfaction Guild for pushing me to work hard on becoming a high level.
- Gamefaqs.com, I got some of my ideas from the two mage/wizard guides there.

Please help me on ideas for my future Wizard Guide =), and if anyone can think of a better place for training than Juno let me know...

Last edited by 12aBBiT1 on 23 Mar 2006 09:48 PM; edited 5 times in total
xxpureknighxx

Rating: 1

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 11:49 AM Reply with quoteBack to top

Pretty good guide I would say. Nicely done Smile

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 11:55 AM Reply with quoteBack to top

well someone needed to make a mage/wizard guide. So I did what I could...but theres a lot of builds out there besides firewall.

Banned

Rating: 0

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 11:56 AM Reply with quoteBack to top

you're missing the most important aspect of firewall ...
vfw > you

well since you didnt add it in the guide..
vertical firewall is where you lead the monsters to walk through all 3 tiles of the firewall.

determined by which direction the monster came from, and which side. north east south west, and left right, top and bottom sides of where the monster will be when it starts attacking you.

lets say the monster is coming from north east (top right). more north than east, you put a firewall 1 tile to the right of you, and walk straight DOWN.

if the monster was coming from more from the east direction than north, you put a firewall 1 tile ABOVE you, and walk DIRECTLY west.

sorry if its hard to understand, but thats the jist of it. im not looking to make a guide, someone can elaborate and go into more detail on vfw if they wish, but a firewall guide without vfw is blasphemy.
Undark

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 12:03 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

12aBBiT1 wrote:

Does having a +7 wand up the matk?

Kowolo

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 12:05 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Few more training tips:

When you first turn mage go hit a few more porings to get a skill point and get lvl 1 fire bolt.

Find some Floras or Mandragoras to fire bolt. These should quickly get you to max fire bolt and fire wall.

When these start getting slow, move to the agriope/argo map and mob them with firewall.

This should last you till job lvl 4x something before it starts to get really slow. From here you can move to GHC (not as good now since so many flies and mimics) and vertical firewall mob, or to clock tower and firewall + firebolt clocks, or if your skilled firewall + thunderstorm mob alarms.
Jackal
Banned

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 12:06 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

No

Undark wrote:
12aBBiT1 wrote:

Thanks for making this guide, please include vertical firewall if you understand it. After some further editing, I'll move this to the guide section if its good =)
Undark

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 12:08 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Jackal wrote:
No

Undark wrote:
12aBBiT1 wrote:

Then what kind of silly advice is that -.-" mages can't melee anyways...

12aBBiT1

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 12:16 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

hmm lol, i didnt even think about adding how to use the skills. Thanks, I'll edit it. I'm also gonna change the title to mage guide, because what started as being a firewall based guide sorta turned into a general mage guide xD

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 01:33 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Added suggestions to you guide.

Mobbing argiopes with vertical fw is easy, you should hot key level 1 FB as they stop following sometimes. You can start mobbing them once you get lvl 5 FW, great experience.

The last 10 job levels is always a pain, you can continue to mob argiopes or if you want a challenge, you can FW-->SS nightmares and marionettes in geffen 3 /gg

Also i noticed that you said to firebolt after freezing them with frost driver...NEVER do that, always lightning bolt..
zidanet129
Distinguished Member

Rating: 81

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 01:51 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

May as well share what I did as a Mage (and Sage) when I was mobbing in GHC and Prontera (Halloween event)...... What I would call "Delta Fire Wall)
- Gather a mob of Undeads. And Undeads ONLY. The bigger the better. Be extremely sure that you run fast enough to NOT get hit though. Recommended if you can get a mob that moves at the same speed (Zombie Prisoner, Skeleton Prisoner, Wraith works PERFECTLY).
- When the mob is about 5 cells away from you, cast three Firewalls that show up in this formation:
..W
.WW
In other words, they should stack with each other to a certain extent and form a triangle.
- Lead the mob to walk through the Delta Fire Wall until they're dead.
- Pick up your loots, recover SP if necessary, and go pick on your next mob of victims.

It's scarily easy to mob with this. In terms of Undeads and Undeads ONLY, Delta is better than Vertical, IMO, considering you just have to run in circles and the mob would just kill themselves. (With Vertical you're screwed if the mob didn't die after walking through the Firewalls.) Don't forget to add another Fire Wall if one of them dies off before the mob is dead.

Ziddy - Sniper (Oct 5, '06: Day to remember. First to get Phantasmic Arrow.)
Zidagunner - Gunslinger (First to make Butcher and 2s. Garrison)

Retired
wsx331
Banned

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 02:26 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

well, like you recast the firewall for a delta form, you recast for vertical form.. zombie prisoner & wraiths dont die in 1 fw unless your int is higher than 105, with lvl 10 fw.
if you got enough time to make 3 firewalls into a triangle, you got enough time to make 3 firewalls in a straight line, not necessarily stacked on one spot.

also, should add to your guide that every 7 int = min matk, and every 5 int = max matk, every 6 int = increased sp regeneration
zidanet129
Distinguished Member

Rating: 81

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 03:05 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah.... Thing is that Delta also takes less "aiming"...... Just land the FW on a general direction and it works. Vertical requires you to, you know, aim. Which isn't too hard but quite painful to do when you're fighting off a mob.

Ziddy - Sniper (Oct 5, '06: Day to remember. First to get Phantasmic Arrow.)
Zidagunner - Gunslinger (First to make Butcher and 2s. Garrison)

Retired
Korou

Rating: 159

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 03:36 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

you forgot about saftey wall =O
that skill comes extremly usefull if you have a fast mob.

ISelfDestruct3 wrote:
people need to die. that's why disease, and viruses were made. im not saying god made them, or anything at all. (though my belief is that god made them). cause look at us, we are over populating the earth. PEOPLE NEED TO DIE!!
4zndragonboi604

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2006 04:26 PM Reply with quoteBack to top

Very nice guide. /no1

Reply to topic

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic